Have a look at this post on LinkedIn. It’s quite long with lots of links to supporting materials and references… So, find a quiet moment, when you would have at least 15 min to devote to it…
Here is the essence of the passage, as I understand it:
“We are being afflicted with a new disease of which some readers may not yet have heard the name, but of which they will hear a great deal in the years to come — namely, technological unemployment. This means unemployment due to our discovery of means of economising the use of labour outrunning the pace at which we can find new uses for labour. But this is only a temporary phase of maladjustment.”
“New disease” is quite old actually – this is the quote from almost 100 years ago…
- Nothing has changed and history repeats itself (as always).
- Technological and economic advances are inherently good.
- At the same time, these advances often create short-term issue of unemployment.
- This issue is only “temporary phase of maladjustment”, however.
- We need to be clever to play our game correctly as a society (less likely) and as individuals (that’s where our children may need our help in making the right choices).
- The ultimate dream is – work less, have more, enjoy life.
I am quite optimistic! What do you think?